June 2, 2008

The Shack

I wrote a pretty long post yesterday about the book I just finished reading called "The Shack" by William P Young. I went back and re read some parts this morning that I wanted to think over some more. After I read them I decided to delete the post I made yesterday and start over.
The book was very touching to me. It contained a lot of dialogue that I enojoyed and it made me want to experience a stronger relationship with my Creator. With that said, I also want to say that I found some pretty big flaws in the theology behind many of the conversations within the book. As someone who has a pretty grounded faith and understanding of what I believe in Scripture I think it was just fine to read the book. I was capable of reading it as a work of fiction and someone elses ideas of what God might be like. If you are a new Christian or if you are easily swayed by post-modern thinking then I would suggest that you never pick this book up. It has the potential to teach some theology that I believe just isn't supported by scripture. But I would love for anyone who feels like they can read this book objectively to pick it up and read it. There were some parts that really helped me and that I felt were completely grounded in scripture. I would love to discuss this book with some of you whether you liked it or not.
While writing this post I have been looking online at several discussions about the book. I had no idea it was so popular. So you might have already heard a lot about it. A lot of people seem to really hate the book. I think you have to read it as a work of fiction and someones imagination and leave it at that. Well I am anxious to hear everyone elses thoughts...

3 comments:

Kevin and Laura said...

Sounds like an amazing book, I will have to get it!

Elizabeth said...

The book The Shack was written without agenda by the author. It wasn't even written to be published. It was written so that it's writer could show his children Christ minus religion. We as a "Christian society" have become so engulfed in religion that we have put God in a box. What a refreshing breath of air this book is as its challenge is to drop your ideas of who God is and realize He is way bigger than what we think He is. If you've become hung up on the details of the book you have totally missed the purpose of the book.

Erin said...

To Elizabeth...
In my post I state how much I loved the book and encouraged people to read it with an open mind and to stay away from it only if they could not handle what might be in store. So I am not sure why you felt the need to tell me that I have missed the purpose of the book. I believe you missed the point of my blog entirely. I have read it twice and I love it! I completely agree with you that God is often put in a box and that The Shack can blow that box open if you allow it to. I have read a lot of what was said about the book and I am already aware that he wrote the book for his children. It did get published however whether he originally intended for it to be or not so that isn't really a valid argument for anything.