September 4, 2009

Seed Spitting Contest Anyone?

We ate half of a watermelon during the Memorial Day weekend. We never finished the other half so I threw it over the side of our fence, next to the creek. Well, last week, I was outside with David and Alex and they were throwing rocks into the water. David kept walking over to this one area that has lots of little rocks and he would pick out the best rock and then come over to me and throw it. I wasn't paying attention at first but then realized he was walking through a lot of green vines that I had never noticed before. I got up to investigate and, you guessed it, watermelons!! We have a giant watermelon patch growing in the rocks next to our fence. There were 5 watermelons growing on it, so I went and got Jon, and we picked one. The kids think it is great and ask to go visit the watermelons every day. The first one we picked wasn't quite ripe enough so we haven't picked anymore. I love that I made this discovery!! It seems simple but it makes me laugh every time I think about it, which is a good thing :)! Plus, you might just see me hawking my goods on the side of the road ;) Here are the pictures from our picking expedition...
(make sure and see my previous post from this morning, it has our summer pictures on it)


This is the whole patch. I am standing at the creek looking up at our fence line.






1 comment:

Trina said...

Wow! that is pretty impressive watermelons! Good job!
Haha, I did a similar thing with pumpkins in our garden last year. Enjoy!